Let the randomness begin!
First and most importantly, happy belated birthday to my girls! We had a very busy weekend celebrating their fifth birthday. I just can't believe how fast five years went by. I am so proud of them and I love watching them grow up. Next major stop: kindergarten!
Second, I may still be looking for a summer job--the one really good lead I had didn't pan out, so I guess I'll have to keep searching. I say I may be looking, because I have applied to a Master's degree program and am waiting to find out if I've been accepted. (All signs are good so far.) I am going to start working on my Master's for a variety of reasons, the major one being that if I want to renew my teaching certificate when it expires at the end of this year, I have to renew it on teaching experience or graduate-level coursework. As you may (or may not--I don't know all the people who read this blog) know, I left teaching after my first year because I had my twins and wanted to stay home with them. Fast forward five years, and while I loved the time I had with them at home and wouldn't trade it for anything, I find myself in a tricky spot when I'm trying to get a teaching job again. Not enough teaching experience to renew when I expire in December. So it's time to begin that graduate coursework.
Which brings me to my next topic: this article. I am living this article right now. I would love nothing more than a full-time teaching job for next school year, but so far no dice. I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I've been out of the classroom for so long. In fact, I'm almost positive. My undergraduate GPA is fine, my references are fine, so I think it must just be my lack of recent experience. When my daughters were two and a half, I worked part-time at a preschool, and after that I worked for an education-focused non-profit organization, but apparently that's not translating well enough to get me a job. I'm hoping that the graduate coursework will win me some points in job searching.
Aaaaaaaaand...to compound all of this, I'm not even sure I want to teach for the rest of my life. I love it, it's what I know how to do, I just...don't see myself doing it forever. Of course I have no idea what else I would do, but that's a moot point right now.
Enough about me! How are you? Enjoying the weather? Seems like more often than not, our weather here jumps from winter to summer with maybe two days of spring, but this year I feel like we are getting an actual spring. Yay!
Update 9:48 PM: Checked the mail this afternoon; I am officially accepted to graduate school. Cross your fingers for me!
1 day ago




No comments:
Post a Comment