We have dill growing in our front garden, and apparently dill is a favorite plant of the black swallowtail caterpillar. At one point this summer we had almost 30 caterpillars swarming all over the dill plants. The girls and I put four of the caterpillars in our mesh bug-catcher box and fed them until they made their chrysalises about a week and a half ago, and since then we've just been waiting for them to hatch. Last night during dinner I happened to glance up at the top of the refrigerator where the bug box was sitting, and I noticed movement. One of our butterflies had hatched! The girls were so excited! We let him (her?) go after dinner, and let two more go this morning before breakfast. They are really beautiful butterflies. It's cool to be able to see them up close before we release them. I want to get pictures, but they fly away so quickly when we open the door. I'll still try to photograph the last one when it hatches.
Tomorrow I have to report for teacher meetings. I'll get to meet most of my new colleagues and learn a little bit more about the school district. Part of me is looking forward to it and part of me wishes I could just sub again this year. I am excited to get my classroom all decorated and organized, though! I don't think we'll get much time for that until next week, but it's something to look forward to.
1 day ago




1 comment:
Very Cool! I know what I'm doing next time I see a caterpillar =)
Post a Comment